Pages

Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Last of the January UFO's

As you know I've declared this year the year of the UFO finishes. To help I joined in on Judy's UFO Challenge and my list can be found here
January's UFO from my list was Dotty About Scraps a scrap quilt from far too many years ago,


This was my first scrap quilt and my first self designed quilt. It's approximately double bed sized.

I struggled with thinking on how to quilt this, probably why it's been in the box for so long. I normally draw out a quilting plan for ideas but decided to just wing this one.

First up I quilted straight(ish) diagonal lines through all the chain squares, through the sashing and into the borders



This gave me large. bordered areas of unquilted spaces. In these I quilted a made up motif of curves and straight (ish) lines. Again going over sashing and borders as necessary.



The pictures above aren't the best sorry as I used a Superior Threads King Tut variegated thread which blends in really well.

It shows up alot better on the back. I love this backing fabric by the way. I think I'm going to have to pick up some more. It's a lightweight upholstery fabric and great for backings.  You can see a sneak peak of the spotty binding I used too.


And the finished quilt


So that's January finished and three UFO's out of the box and finished. Roll on February.

8 comments:

  1. although the quilt top is lovely, i really like the back. The quilting shows up so well against the fabric, I would be tempted to reverse it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, especially the sprinkling of star blocks and the colourful border. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lot of fun! Great scrap quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winging it worked well for this quilt--congrats on crossing off this UFO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Koodoos! It is a truly lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on creating your own design of quilt - I hope you continue to do that and playing with quilting designs too. Love all that crappy goodness. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree with this article, very informative. We can make our Upholstery looks like new by just changing fabric. Fabric quality and colors are also very important. I have just visited Rana Textiles Mills website and found beautiful and quality oriented fabric for upholstery over there. You can Buy Best Fabric for Upholstery from here.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx